Hello everyone, and welcome back to another year of Stupid Upset Picks! By my count, this is the 14th season and 15th year of SUP - I'm so glad you all enjoy playing this goofy game, because I sure do enjoy putting it together for all of you. First, a recap of 2021:
MrSwift13 won last year with 78 points, with cfasting (72) hot on his tail, and Tigers_039 (68.5), Terrapin Trombonist (68), Ancient Chinese Secret (67), Narrow Right (63), saxattack29 (62), Banach Space Program (57.5), hitcher1 (52.5), and Dances With Gophers (51.5) rounding out the top ten.
Ollie McClellan's "Go Biggest or Go Home" strategy paid off in Week 7 last year, as Louisiana-Monroe beat Liberty to earn him 32 points and the biggest single-game point total for any selector, narrowly edging out several of you who picked Kansas over Texas in Week 11, for 30.5 points.
Past Champions also include 2019 - burrito electrico (83.5 points), 2018 - RamblerGambler (64.5), 2017 - AlonsoWDC (69.5), 2016 - mnHorn (90), 2015 - Counter Trap (61.5), 2014 - Illusions, Michael (77.5), 2013 - tommybowden.can.suck.it (88), 2012 - The Commenter Formerly Known as Not You (67.5), and 2011 - VUfanInNJ (74).
Now, since it has been nearly a full year and a site return since we last played, the rules are as follow:
1) You may pick only ONE game each week, and ONLY from the listed games.
2) Your pick must be an underdog.
3) No 1-A vs. 1-AA games will be posted.
4) Your pick must be posted by the time the game you have selected kicks off, and you are locked in to that game for the week (so, if you lose Thursday, you cannot pick again Saturday).
5) You are not locked out if you fail to pick before the first game of the week kicks off (so, you can still pick a Saturday game on Friday, even after the results for Thursday are known).
6) If your team loses, you get 0 points. It does not matter if they cover the spread or not.
7) If your underdog wins outright, you get the value of the listed spread - so, if you pick a 7-point underdog and they win, you get 7 points. It does not matter if they win due to a late safety or by three touchdowns.
8) You do not have to play every week to win the season-long crown.
9) If you want to change your pick, please reply to your own post, so that it threads nicely and I can change it easily.
10) If you catch a mistake(likely to happen, given my tenuous ability to read in straight lines and transcribe them), please let me know - not just in the SUP thread, but in a general discussion thread, so I can correct it.
11) If you pick a favorite, I will try to let you know, but no guarantees there. If you don't change that pick, it will be marked as an unplayed week.
12) There will be picks for every week of the regular season except for Army-Navy.
I think that just about covers it. So, without further ado, here are the games for Week 0:
|Sat., 27 Aug.|
|Nevada||12.5||New Mexico St.|
I'm going to take Charlotte over Florida Atlantic to start - good luck and happy picking!