Is there a better way to kill the off-season than talking about ourselves? I think not. That is why this EDSBS edition of the blog poll roundtable for discussion is designed to either refresh everyone's recollection about our fellow participants or give us a greater insight into the deep dark psyche of each of us.
1. Education. List the region of the country you were born in, what universities you attended and at least one other you would have attended if your alma mater didn't exist.
Orson's Example: Born in Nashville, Tennessee. Graduated from University of Florida with a BA in something useless. Also picked up a M.S. from Georgia Tech, but still can't do math. If we had to attend another uni, we would have chosen the University of Washington, because it is beaaaauuuyoouuutiful.
2. Sports Affiliations. List your top 10 favorite teams in all of sports in decending order. For instance, your alma mater's football team may be number 1, but perhaps there is a professional team that squeezes in before you get to your alma mater's lacrosse team.
10? We're not that diverse, sportswise. Five we can do:
a. The Florida Gators football team.
b. U.S. Soccer
c. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
d. The Atlanta Falcons.
e. Umm...did we mention the Florida Gators? Again, we're rather focused.
3. Movies. List the movie you've watched the most, your favorite sports related movie, the movie you secretly love but don't like to admit it (possibly a chick flick or b film), and the movie you were (or still are) most looking forward to from this summer's season.
Most watched: Caddyshack, probably. It's a generational thing.
Fave sports movie: Major League. Screw profundity--Charlie Sheen telling the ump to "blow me" while grabbing his nuts is poetry.
Shame flick: The 13th Warrior. Vikings fighting Cromagnons and accepting fate like men.
4. Music. List your favorite band from middle school, high school, college and today. Also, as with the movies, include the song you secretly love but don't like to admit. If Nickleback is involved in any of these responses, please give a detailed explanation as to why, god, why.
Middle school: the Beatles.
High school: R.E.M.
College: Radiohead, though the CD we pushed 'til it bled was Wu-Tang.
Shamelove song: "Since You've Been Gone," Kelly Clarkson. Rocks ass despite jacking the bridge from "Maps" by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs.
5. Books. Favorite book you've finished, worst book you've finished and the book you really should read but haven't gotten around to it.
Favorite: the Brothers Karamazov.
Worst: Their Eyes Were Watching God. A man dies after being bitten by a dog floating on a dead cow. Nothin' else needed for proof of shittiness.
Book we should read but haven't: A Son of the Circus, John Irving.
6. Travel. Favorite city you've every been to and the one place you still must visit before you shuffle off this mortal coil.
Fave city: Bangkok.
City we need to go to: Rio. Have you seen the video for "Beautiful" by Snoop Dogg? You're going, too.
7. What do you love most about college football in 20 words or less?
Love, beauty, violence, and singularity.