Most major universities have some semblance of an Alumni/Touchdown/Quarterback club meeting during the weeks of football season. The more heavily attended ones are those in metropolitan areas most proximally located to the school, as the majority of fans, boosters, and alumni are likely in those areas. They are typically luncheons/happy hours/buffet dinners held in the largest halls/cafeterias/Western Sizzlin's in the area and host any number of coaches and other well known speakers to entertain the crowd during the meeting. Little Rock, Arkansas has one such club...and dare I say that it has the most amazing group of speakers lined up for the upcoming season. Observe...
A couple of things to discuss:
- "Keynote Speaker Bret Bielema" could only happen in the SEC. (EDITOR'S NOTE: Or the AVN Awards.)
- Tom Osbourne won't speak. He and Frank Broyles will just have an exhibition of old man strength in the middle of the ballroom floor.
- Let's just all plan to take off work, clear our calendars, and book hotel rooms in Little Rock for September 23rd-30th.
- Mitch Mustain's eloquent speech will be interrupted by Houston Nutt and eventually drowned out by Pete Carroll's 'Song of the Day.'
- Will Mitch's mom be in attendance?
- October 28th. Noting but Gus Malzahn questions.
- Was Butch Davis busy?
- Jon Gruden was rumored to speak at one point.
- Lou Holtz's appearance is subject to cancellation depending on how much public stumping Notre Dame's BCS chances need.
- A Bobby Petrino/Jessica Dorell/John L. Smith panel discussion was really too much to expect, I guess.
While this is certainly an impressive group of speakers, it's not the ultimate Arkansas line-up. There's still time to reschedule, Little Rock Touchdown Club. Make it happen.