Programming reminder: EDSBS Live is tonight at 9 p.m. Purchase libations accordingly.
Our blogpoll ballot for the week follows. We make no apologies and explain little, because art requires brave dickishness.
EXPLANATIONS OFFERED AFTER AVOWED LACK OF EXPLANATIONS:
- Auburn was going to be lower, but Cam Newton got a head of steam up and barreled his way into the picture.They're a deeply flawed team, but most are at this point and they've managed to win despite the flaws on the road and versus one of the finer efforts of a Steve Spurrier-coached Gamecock team at home. They've also got a semi truck with bad brakes rolling down hill at quarterback, and until he gets injured they stand a chance in every game on the schedule.
- Oklahoma's overvalued at this point, but ranking them that high is a hedge on their potential. This weekend will place them someplace closer to their real value, especially if Texas rebounds and gives them a genuine stress test.
- Arkansas gets points for valor, following our mostly consistent trend of rewarding teams for fine efforts against superior competition. Ditto for South Carolina, who is playing the most even football they've played ever. Notice this still includes horrendous meltdowns on the road. This is still South Carolina football, but just a really good vintage of it.
- There's a Pac-10 knot at the AZ/Stanford junction up there. If trends hold they'll likely flip, since AZ is likely a bit too high due to Iowa credit and Stanford faces Oregon this weekend. Oregon may be too high, but given their raging spree through the scoreboards of his nation that is a permissible excess akin to giving the ball to LaMichael James in the 4th quarter just to see if he can really break someone's soul open.
- After seeing them in person, it's confirmed that LSU is still horrendous but far better on defense than they were at the UNC game, and not just because West Virginia couldn't find yardage if you gave them a measuring tape and Lexington Steele's cock. They're also superb on special teams, so remember the part where we said all teams are flawed? LSU's 4-0 and could keep a clean sheet for far longer than expected based on these alone.
- Yeah, Texas. That's your rung this week. Redemption awaits.
- The rest is a complete and unapologetic muddle as usual.